Summer is around the corner, and the common theme for most is weight loss. Here is a summary of eight weight loss tips as reported in TIME that actually work:
1. Eat a big breakfast – Skipping breakfast actually leads to weight gain, according to a study published in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology. It can also cause an increase in blood pressure, cholesterol and fasting glucose levels.
2. Drink one less soda a week – The goal should be zero, but if you are drinking soda, try reducing it by one can a week. A can of soda contains about 10 teaspoons of sugar, so a small cut can go a long way!
3. Mediterranean diet – U.S News and World Report voted the mediterranean diet as the best diet in 2018. Research shows it can help with acid reflux, improve cholesterol level and help expand lifespan. It can also help with weight loss, without being a fat-free diet.
4. Exercise – Diet can help reduce the weight but exercise can help keep it off. A study found that metabolism slowed among the contestants of the Biggest Loser television show after the dramatic weight loss. The contestants that kept an active lifestyle were able to keep the weight off after the show.
5. Get a good night’s sleep – People who extended their sleep times, aiming for seven hours a night ended up eating 10 grams less sugar during the day. Try avoiding caffeine and screen time before bed.
6. Eat more slowly – People who ate slower gained less weight, the reason being they felt fuller. Also eating slower helps burn an extra 10 calories for every 300 calories of food.
7. Eat real sugar – a study review involving 400,000 people found that using artificial sweeteners lead to weight gain. Try brown sugar or honey as a substitute.
8. Workout weight gain – Don’t worry too much about gaining weight after working out. Most of those gains have to do with water intake.