- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup beer
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced capers
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 quart oil for frying
- 1 pound cod fillets, cut into 2 to 3 ounce portions
- 1 (12 ounce) package corn tortillas
- ½ medium head cabbage, finely shredded
- Step 1 – To make beer batter: In a large bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt. Blend egg and beer, then quickly stir into the flour mixture (don’t worry about a few lumps).
- Step 2 – To make white sauce: In a medium bowl, mix together yogurt and mayonnaise. Gradually stir in fresh lime juice until consistency is slightly runny. Season with jalapeno, capers, oregano, cumin, dill, and cayenne.
- Step 3 – Heat oil in deep-fryer to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Step 4Dust fish pieces lightly with flour. Dip into beer batter, and fry until crisp and golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Lightly fry tortillas; not too crisp. To serve, place fried fish in a tortilla, and top with shredded cabbage, and white sauce.
Per Serving: 409 calories; protein 17.3g; carbohydrates 43g; fat 18.8g; cholesterol 54.3mg; sodium 406.5mg.