It’s October and pumpkins are everywhere! This creamy bisque should satisfy your pumpkin cravings this month!
- 1 Tbsp canola oil 15 mL
- 1 cup diced onions 250 mL
- 1/2 medium Gala apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 can (14oz/398 mL) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 of (15oz/426 mL) can solid pumpkin
- 2 Tbsp sugar 30 mL
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon 7 mL
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin 2 mL
- 1/2 tsp salt 2 mL
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper .5 mL
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free half and half 375 mL
- 1/4 cup fat-free sour cream 60 mL
- 1. Heat canola oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions and apple; cook 5 minutes or until onions begin to brown.
- 2. Place onion mixture in a blender with 1 cup (250 mL) broth. Secure lid, and puree until smooth. Return onion mixture to saucepan; add remaining ingredients, except half and half and sour cream. Bring to boil over high heat, reduce heat, cover tightly, and simmer 15 minutes.
- 3. Remove from heat and gradually add half and half while stirring. To serve, spoon equal amounts of soup into four shallow bowls and top with dollops of sour cream.
- Flavorful tip: Adding the apple while browning the onion brings out the sugars of the apple and richly brown the onions quickly.