We are excited to announce the addition of injectable services at Muscle and Joint Clinic. Vitamin B12 injections will be offered by our Naturopathic Doctor – Dr. Tanvi Tijoriwala.
Vitamin B12 is a water-soluble vitamin that is commonly found in animal products and eggs. It plays an important role in energy production, maintaining nerve health and making blood cells. Therefore, having adequate levels of Vitamin B12 are important.
Here are some instances when you should consider getting Vitamin B12 shots:
- Vegetarian and Vegan diet: Because vitamin B12 is most abundantly found in meat and eggs, individuals who are vegan or vegetarian are most at risk for developing vitamin B12 deficiency
- Over the age of 50: Individuals over the age of 50 are at higher risk for a Vitamin B12 deficiency. As we get older, our body produces less stomach acid which is important for the absorption of Vitamin B12. Hence, adults over 50 years of age may not be absorbing vitamin B12 adequately.
- Diagnosed deficiency: If you have already had your blood tested for Vitamin B12 deficiency and have low levels; getting vitamin B12 shots are a great way to boost your levels. Intra-muscular vitamin B12 is more readily absorbed than oral vitamin B12 supplements. If you are unsure of a deficiency, our naturopathic doctors can also requisition bloodwork to test your levels.
- Pain: Vitamin B12 has been shown to reduce pain associated with nerve irritation or tight muscles. Some of the conditions that can be helped with Vitamin B12 shots is – lower back pain, neck pain and diabetic neuropathy.
- Low energy: Low levels of vitamin B12 were found to be associated with increased levels of fatigue and depression.
If you would like to find out whether Vitamin B12 shots are the right treatment option for you book an appointment, book a free consultation today!