You will never want to eat frozen veggie burgers again. These are so easy, and you’ll be proud to have created such a vegetarian delight.
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ green bell pepper, cut into 2 inch pieces
- ½ onion, cut into wedges
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon Thai chili sauce or hot sauce
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- Step 1 If grilling, preheat an outdoor grill for high heat, and lightly oil a sheet of aluminum foil. If baking, preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C), and lightly oil a baking sheet.
- Step 2 In a medium bowl, mash black beans with a fork until thick and pasty.
- Step 3. In a food processor, finely chop bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Then stir into mashed beans.
- Step 4. In a small bowl, stir together egg, chili powder, cumin, and chili sauce.
- Step 5. Stir the egg mixture into the mashed beans. Mix in bread crumbs until the mixture is sticky and holds together. Divide mixture into four patties.
- Step 6. If grilling, place patties on foil, and grill about 8 minutes on each side. If baking, place patties on baking sheet, and bake about 10 minutes on each side.
Per Serving: 198 calories; protein 11.2g; carbohydrates 33.1g; fat 3g; cholesterol 46.5mg; sodium 607.3mg.