This recipe delivers a low-fat version of a perennial favorite through use of applesauce: carrot cake with walnuts, raisins, and pineapple.
Yield:1 – 9 x 13 inch cake
- 6 egg whites
- 1 ⅓ cups white sugar
- 1 cup applesauce
- ½ cup skim milk
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple with juice
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ½ cup raisins
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9X13 inch pan with non-fat cooking spray.
- Step 2 In large mixing bowl, beat egg whites. Slowly beat in sugar, then applesauce, skim milk, and vanilla. Stir in cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon, baking soda, and flour. Stir in, one ingredient at a time, pineapple (with juice), carrots, walnuts, and raisins. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Step 3 Bake for 35 – 40 minutes in the preheated oven. It is done when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Per Serving: 167 calories; protein 3.9g; carbohydrates 34.1g; fat 2.4g; cholesterol 0.1mg; sodium 171.1mg.